Monday, May 18, 2009

We have one life to live....

This past weekend, we had a young newly married couple over for dinner. Both husband and wife kept referring to me as "Tumhi" (Marathi word to show respect for age). They even referred to my sister in law as Kaku !!! Now my sis in law is just a year younger to me and not a whole lot older to them!! Sigh....side topic on how the hell do they get away with calling someone who might be 7-8 years older to you Aunty but many posts in different blogs have been written on this so I will not ramble on it....

I suddenly realised that one day I was that newly married bride and I had met all these family friends who had been married for 10-12 years and now its reversed. Suddenly I felt like where did time fly!! Its already 10 years since I married P! Its already 2.5 years since I gave birth to R....Its just a reminder to fully enjoy all the quality time you get with your family. I am sure I will get this moment again 10 years since when R will be a teenager and think again - Where did time go?? I love living, I love my life, I love it with all its ups and downs and I am excited to see what the future holds for me.

That brings me to my childhood friend who is struggling with clinical depression; she cannot wait to get old and die. She is already tired of life!! It just reminds me to count my blessings, be grateful and happy that I still have my spirit intact and have the courage and attitude to face life and embrace all its challenges and rewards. I wish it were the same for my friend too. It breaks my heart to see her let life go by like this. One day, she might snap out of this and it will be too late, all the beautiful years of her life might have gone by, sad and boring thanks to herself! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment